We were staffed and ready to have a great summer. We’ve let our amazing staff know that they can seek other employment opportunities elsewhere this summer, yet will have a place on our team during the 2021 season.
Will IA be able to reopen when our region enters phase 4?
Unfortunately, we will not. We will have let our staff seek other employment opportunities for the season. Also, as we all know this pandemic is unpredictable, if we were to go backwards in phases after we have already opened, it would ultimately close us permanently as the cost would be too high to recover from.
Can I roll my IA registrations into the 2021 season?
As each season’s registrations entirely fund that year, we cannot start in a deficit for the 2021 year, which would be the case if we rolled registrations over.
Will you be able to open for only childcare, or only membership, or at partial capacity?
Unfortunately, no. We will not be able to open as the IDPH will only allow groups of 10 initially, moving up to 50, including staff. Our staff alone far outweigh those numbers to provide a safe environment.
How do you plan to use the $40,000 in the GoFundMe and t-shirt fundraiser?
These funds entirely go to the preservation of IA. They will cover the base monthly bills until the summer of 2021.
What level of refund can I expect?
We are working to calculate the highest percentage of refund we can afford to give back without jeopardizing the ability to keep IA afloat until the 2021 season.
How can I help Save IA?
We are selling t-shirts, accepting donations through waived refunds and our GoFundMe, and accepting help with our list of projects this summer.
As we’ve stopped all spending to ensure we can carry the cost of a year without a summer season, we do have a project list for any members interested in getting out and helping us once the shelter-in-place mandate has lifted. If you have an interest, skill, or ability to donate time or materials for any of the following projects, we would greatly appreciate anything you are willing to give.
New papoose roof, window addition to room, new doors
Multiple small painting projects
Rope for fencing near old snack bar
An Open Letter to Our Registrants
Dear IA Family, We are heartbroken to tell you this. We have exhausted all avenues in our attempts to open Indian Acres Swim Club for the 2020 season. We wanted to tell you as soon as we knew we wouldn't be able to open. Unfortunately, our Illinois Department of Public Health has been less than responsive to our safety plans for both camp and membership. While they said it was the most informed and detailed safety plan they’ve seen from the entire state of Illinois, they also said “it wasn’t in the spirit of ‘all in Illinois’.” I am at a loss. Please believe me when I say that Abby Krows, Joel, and I have worked tirelessly to find a creative, out-of-the-box solution to open this summer. IDPH will not approve our plan. This closure is not our decision. To say we are devastated doesn’t even begin to cover the emotions we feel. We’ve set the deck. Awnings are up. Staff is ready. Our pools are ready to fill. So many of our amazing team and gracious members have worked so hard, all volunteer hours, to get the Club ready to go in the last few weeks. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. I don’t want to know what a summer without IA looks like. I am sad, angry, and so very sorry to disappoint you all. I believe we are a very important part to our community, not only for the friends and families we love, but the childcare we perform, the memories we make together; the traditions we build. At this point, we are forward focused on the 2021 season. We will take this summer and reevaluate all programs, cut waste, and come out decidedly stronger in 2021. At this time, we have had to make the very hard decision to close. Our own household is severely affected by this as well. Our livelihood has been damaged significantly as this is the entirety of what I personally bring to our family finances. Both of my children are in tears for not seeing their friends, not getting to swim in their pools, and not getting to be with their extended IA family. The sorrow that they feel is shared from the bottom of our hearts. As you know, our registrations entirely fund each season for the Swim Club. As we had planned on opening, we have taken care of the required updates in maintenance and functionality standards to keep our pools safe, clean, and operational, along with paying necessary bills such as insurance, taxes, and licensure. As such, a portion of all of the registration fees have already been spent. At this time, we are working to establish the highest percentage that we can refund to all of our registrants so that we may still open in the 2021 season. As we are grieving this news, we will send a follow up email with the specifics on what you can expect for refunds during the week of June 1st. If you are able and willing, please know how much it will mean to us if you wish to waive your refunds as a donation so that we can ensure opening next year.
As we’ve stopped all spending to ensure we can carry the cost of a year without a summer season, we do have a project list for any members interested in getting out and helping us once the shelter-in-place mandate has lifted. If you have an interest, skill, or ability to donate time or materials for any of our projects, we would greatly appreciate anything you are willing to give. The full list can be found on our web site with our FAQs.
At this time, we are taking a bit of a break from email, text, Facebook, and calls as we adjust and grieve this loss. We will be back to work on June 1.